A few months back my friend Rachel and I went Garage selling and came across a house where a family was getting rid of some old belongings that they were quite attached to. After bargaining for what felt like hours, we were loading up what we could of the dresser and sent the hubby back to pick up the rest with his truck!
Well when I got it home Greg couldn't believe what I had picked out! It was an old piece that needed quite a bit of work (see fabric back), but I thought it had good bones. Besides, our guest room needed a new dresser!
|See the beautiful carpet backing??? *LOVE*|
So I got to work removing the handles and priming the piece. This was a cool piece because it had no finish on it so I didn't have to sand too much! I had seen a blog right about the time I bought this dresser that had kept the original hardware for the dresser she was working on and I loved the idea, so I was excited when I found something that had nice handles!
The back turned out to be easy peasy--they had taken some fabric and cushioning and put it on similar to a chair cushion, so I just had to remove the whole back piece, take off the 1,000,000,000 staples and put it back on! I really wanted a fun color to match the bedspread in the room, something that would make things pop since the walls are a neutral color!
I went with a Martha Stewart vintage turquoise color which I put on top of a white primer--I always use kilz. I used two coats of the MS paint and let that sit a few days before sanding it up. I wanted this piece to be a but lighter than my yellow hutch, so I did not leave the stain on as long this time. Think more like a summery beach vintage compared to grandma's attic vintage :). Since it is super hot and humid in Houston I let that sit for a few days as well, brought the piece in from the garage and put two clear top coats on so people could actually set things on top of the dresser without ruining it!!
Now I am on the search for the perfect chair for the corner and drapes for the windows!! I will post pics when I am done with the room!!! My goal is to have it done by Mason's first Bday which is in early august!!!!!
Thanks for reading!! Have a fabulous week!