Heading Picture

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Guest Room's New Dresser!



A few months back my friend Rachel and I went Garage selling and came across a house where a family was getting rid of some old belongings that they were quite attached to. After bargaining for what felt like hours, we were loading up what we could of the dresser and sent the hubby back to pick up the rest with his truck!

Well when I got it home Greg couldn't believe what I had picked out! It was an old piece that needed quite a bit of work (see fabric back), but I thought it had good bones. Besides, our guest room needed a new dresser!
See the beautiful carpet backing??? *LOVE*

So I got to work removing the handles and priming the piece. This was a cool piece because it had no finish on it so I didn't have to sand too much! I had seen a blog right about the time I bought this dresser that had kept the original hardware for the dresser she was working on and I loved the idea, so I was excited when I found something that had nice handles!


The back turned out to be easy peasy--they had taken some fabric and cushioning and put it on similar to a chair cushion, so I just had to remove the whole back piece, take off the 1,000,000,000 staples and put it back on! I really wanted a fun color to match the bedspread in the room, something that would make things pop since the walls are a neutral color!



I went with a Martha Stewart vintage turquoise color which I put on top of a white primer--I always use kilz. I used two coats of the MS paint and let that sit a few days before sanding it up. I wanted this piece to be a but lighter than my yellow hutch, so I did not leave the stain on as long this time. Think more like a summery beach vintage compared to grandma's attic vintage :). Since it is super hot and humid in Houston I let that sit for a few days as well, brought the piece in from the garage and put two clear top coats on so people could actually set things on top of the dresser without ruining it!!

Now I am on the search for the perfect chair for the corner and drapes for the windows!! I will post pics when I am done with the room!!! My goal is to have it done by Mason's first Bday which is in early august!!!!!

Thanks for reading!! Have a fabulous week!























10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous color and I love the handles. Perfect amount of stain too. You brought this piece back to life for sure. I want to fill my whole house with wonderful old furnishings like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Following you from a blog hop!:0)
    Hope you visit me and return the follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your guest room dresser is great, great color too. Thanks for sharing at my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out beautiful! I'm LOVING turquoise/aqua right now and I love how you made it "beach vintage" rather than "grandma vintage" ha ha that made me laugh! Totally hit the nail on the head though-great job!

    I lived in Houston for 18 years (i live in UT now), it is SO humid but I'm still pretty sure TX is the greatest place on earth! :)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color you picked! The dresser looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came to check out the dresser and fell in love with the color! I'm going to go check it out in person tomorrow and see how closely it matches the spray paint I use for small items.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pop of color! Really nice restyle:) I'm sure you will get the room done soon can't wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful color on the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that you have so many blog parties to choose from so thank you for choosing Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. This amazing post added to the party blast! Enjoy the rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Libby, I love what you did with the dresser. The colour is fabulous and it takes a woman to see the beauty in something old and beaten up, right? Thanks for sharing. I'm rather late in commenting because I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete