Heading Picture

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

St. Patty's Here We Come!!


My late mother's maiden name was Donovan, which is Irish (duh!). So growing up, St.Patty's Day was right up there with the other major holidays! She would make a special dinner where everything was either naturally green or dyed green except for the corned beef in the Ruben. Our house was adorned with shamrocks and old Irish blessings, while mom would make us wear green on the 17th along with an Irish pin or two as we listened to the Irish tenors in the background.

So this year is my son's first st. patty's day and I want him to know how big of a holiday it was to his grandma! I have been thinking of what a 6 month old can wear to celebrate the big day! I have shopped around and it seems that most of the stores have cute stuff for girls (don't get me started) or they have skipped to Easter. Thus I have decided to create my own outfit! My sewing machine is currently out of order, so I decided I would make a shamrock and hand sew it onto a onesie. I am not an artist by any stretch, so I googled "shamrock Stencil" and went though them until I found the one I wanted!! See below:


Then I took the onesie,


Felt,

and embroidery thread and got started!




Here is what I came up with!! Mason was a gracious model for his mommy!!




Ok, you get the idea!!! Well, maybe one more for good measure :)

Have a fab Ash Wednesday!!










2 comments:

  1. Libby,
    I love the story and the photos - very impressed with how the onsie turned out. Of course, the model is darling!
    love, Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Made by You Monday.
    I have two boys, and I know what you mean....fourteen racks of girl stuff, one rack of boys!

    ReplyDelete