Heading Picture

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Italian Easter Bread Part I



When I was a little girl, one of my favorite things in life was to go to the local library and check out as many books as I could (24 was the max). I would always try to add in new ones, but I had the old favorites I would check out over and over! This book, by Tommy dePaola was one of those tried and true books for me. It had a great story to it and really made me wish I was Italian (I married one:). 

In the back of the book, there is a fabulous recipe for Italian Easter bread. Our good family friends were very Italian, and their mother would make this every year. We were lucky enough to live next door so I could stuff myself with this amazing bread. 

In 7th grade, we made the long and sad move to Houston. My mom and I tried to make the bread, but it wasn't the same. Mom was a fabulous cook, so that wasn't the problem. As I look back on it, I think the magic or holiday loving feeling of tradition was gone--still back in that Italian kitchen where the loaves of Easter bread piled high. So after one Easter of trying to make it, we gave up and went back to our own traditions. But over 15 years later, I still miss that amazing Italian Easter Bread. 

Well this Easter will be the first with our son, so we are starting all of those holiday traditions for the first time with kids. And guess what, I am going to make that wonderful bread! I will keep producing loaves of the bread until one would think I was an Italian housewife from the days of old! 

Behold the Italian Easter bread! 

I am going to prep everything and possibly get started tonight!!! I will keep you all posted and let you know how it turns out!! Wish me luck! And if you are one of the lucky friends, you just might get some Easter bread from the Mondello household!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! Although you should put an odd number of eggs. Us Italian-Americans always do evrything in odd numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just found your blog by googling "Italian Easter Bread". I hope you don't mind but I shared this post on my blog's facebook page. I will be searching for the bread this weekend in Philadelphia. Thank you so much and have a great holiday!!

    ReplyDelete